Contact me :-)

Wednesday 8 December 2010

Trademark (Mark Wardel)

Mark Wardel


H: Mark, when did you start working on your art and how did this come about?
M: Art was the only thing I was ever good at at school and as an only child with no parents, drawing was my refuge from the traumatic circumstances I found myself in.

H: Did you study at an academy of Arts or study Graphic Design/Painting/............. and if so: What/where?
M: I studied at a small, not very good provincial art school near Liverpool, I did a mixture of graphics, illustration and painting which, I think is why elements of those 3 aspects can be found in my work. 
Tasty Tim (2010)

H: You are probably first known for flyers for Trade, hence the name... How did you get involved with Trade?
M: I had been friends with, and producing artwork for the group that (Trade founder) Laurence Malice was performing in back in the 80's and so when he decided to start Trade it was natural and obvious that he would ask me to produce the visual aspects of the club.
Laurence Malice (2010)


H: Mark, can you explain how the process of creating your art work?
M: I usually collage together an image from photographs, either that I have taken or from other sources such as magazines, I may use a head from one source, a face from another source, an upper body from another etc.
I then use this image as a reference and recreate it as an oil and acrylic on canvas  painting.
My figures are usually a kind of Frankenstein creation unless of course it's a portrait of a real person but even then there is a lot of manipulation going on, they are never straight forward copies of a photograph.
Kylie Space Portrait
(Commissioned for the Showgirl Homecoming Tour 2006/2007)

H: Have you ever consider doing work-shops or are you doing these already?
M: I haven't done yet but the idea does excite me so I may consider it.

H: Which artist/painter do you see as your inspiration?
M: The obvious answer is of course Warhol, who I met and who bought a painted tee shirt from me shortly before he died. I was also influenced by a lot of New York artists from the 70s and 80s, e.g. Richard Bernstein, Steven Sprouse, Edward Bell, Allen Jones and punk graphics.
David Bowie (2010)

H: Which celebrity is top of your list to do a portrait of and why?
M: I am currently more interested in painting people I know on the underground music/fashion scene than big celebrities so I don't really have a wish list, however if any celebrities want to commission me I would be more than happy to oblige.

H: on that note: Have you ever been asked to do someone's portrait and

turned them down? (Don't worry, I am not asking for names/details/specifics unless you are fine disclosing it)...
M: Yes, a few times, but no names!


H: I would love to be "Trademarked", as I'm pretty sure many people would. Do you do commissioned work like that and what price would I be looking at then? M: Yes I am currently accepting portrait commissions, prices vary of course but current average would be about £3000 - £5000 for a 40 x 40 inch portrait although smaller ones would be less.
Princess Julia (2010)

H: Mark, what is the average time between start and finish of a piece?
M: That can vary enormously depending on many different factors such as if there is a deadline, if the painting works out easily, how many other artworks I am producing etc. a portrait can take anything from a week to a month.


Trademark/Scene Exhibition
A-Listers, Heroes & Heroines (2010)

H: You are currently having the (Amazing) new 
exhibition; what is next on the agenda?M: I am producing the visuals for a new club night "The men who fell to earth" for Rebel Rebel's Tony Fletcher and I am also planning my next exhibition and in talks to show TRADEMARK/SCENE elsewhere, possibly New York also one of my paintings is being used as an ident image for the 'Creatives' department of the new Liverpool museum due to open next spring and the original painting will also be on show at the museum.
H: Your work is quite "Gay-themed" one would say; do you see this as a hindrance as far as media exposure is concerned?
M: To a certain extent I think it is as I feel the media build up an exaggerated perception of what you are about and although I am  happy being acknowledged as a 'gay' artist, I think the perception is out of date.



I see advertising  imagery for men's underwear etc. on the side of busses and billboards that is more homo-erotic than my stuff, the male body is now being used as an advertising tool in the way that women were in the 60s and 70s. "men are the women of the "noughties" and the whole media landscape looks rather "gay" to me!
Paul Burston (2010)

H: If I were to ask you which of your works is your favourite, what would you say and for what reason is this "The One" for you?
M: That's impossible to answer as I don't think one is ever fully satisfied with any work, there is always the thought that you could have done it differently or better.

H: Given the nature of the club scene and it's links to fashion, have you (Considered) moving into the fashion area?
M: I already have, I worked with William Baker (kylie's creative director) on all the visuals for his Bboy range of men's underwear a few years back and I am also planning to put together a TRADEMARK label to produce tee shirts etc. in the near future.
William Baker (2010)


H: Do you get many requests from people to be "Trademarked" and what are the criteria for you to paint their portrait?
M:  I don't think too many people are aware that I do commissioned portraits, all they gotta do is ask. 
Stewart Who? (2010)

H: The Internet is THE greatest technological revolution of the 21st century. In what way has this effected you as an artist?
M: It has affected the way the work is disseminated and publicised etc. more than the actual production which is still hand painted oil on canvas mode.

H: You are to host the perfect party; who would be on the dream guest list and why?
M: Bob Collacello; he was Andy Warhols' right hand man in the 70s and has all the best gossip, Diana Vreeland, the editor of American Vogue in the 60s and 70s; possibly the most stylish woman who ever lived.
Angie Bowie, ex wife of David and the force behind Ziggy Stardust and the whole glam movement, I would have to have George (Boy) there as well as all the subjects of TRADEMARK/SCENE.
Stewart Who? (2010)

H: Finally: Mark, what advice would you give a budding artist?M: Back up your ideas with some traditional skills, I think it's very important to be able to paint and draw.

The Men Who Fell 2 Earth (2010)
  Note: This image only became available after the original post date)



 
With a HUGE thanks to Mark for this interview!
In addition, big thanks to Paul Burston for the introductions; thx babes Xx

All images kindly provided by: Trademark
All images copyright by: Trademark
http://www.trademarkart.com/



H.Xx

No comments:

Post a Comment